Choose a Healthy Diet
Rather than choosing a diet program designed just for weight loss, choose to learn a new way of eating that you will be able to maintain for the rest of your life. This will prevent yo-yo dieting, which is when you lose weight only to gain it back.
Yo-yo dieting is particularly unhealthy; each time you lose weight and regain it makes the next time you try to lose weight more difficult. So, get to the root of the issue by eating healthy foods and taking supplements if necessary to support the health of your entire body. Proper nutrition is key to warding off illness, maintaining bone health and promoting longevity.
Many options are available. The best eating plans are not expensive and consist of simple, delicious foods that meet all of your nutritional requirements.
Eat Breakfast and Don’t Skip Meals
Eat breakfast every day. Eating breakfast stimulates your metabolism to burn calories efficiently all day long.
When you go for long periods without eating, as you would when you skip meals, your body goes into starvation mode, which results in in weight gain. If you skip breakfast or lunch and then eat a big meal at night, a higher percentage of the calories you eat are converted to fat than if you ate the same number of calories throughout the day.
Some studies indicate that skipping meals can result in as much as a 30 percent increase in the rate of weight gain when compared with people eating the same number of calories spread out throughout the day
Tips for Healthy Weight Loss
- Carry healthy snacks with you. This ensures that when you go out you will be less likely to purchase spur of the moment fast foods.
- Take a day every week to prepare extra meals. Store them in your freezer for times you don’t feel like cooking.
- Fill up on whole grains, brothy soups, fresh fruits and vegetables. These bulky foods will help you to feel satisfied and are filled with good nutrients.
- Drink plenty of water. You will feel full and your organs of elimination will be kept healthy, which is particularly important when you are losing weight. Healthy elimination enhances weight loss, increases your metabolic rate and detoxifies your body.
- While exercise is essential for healthy weight loss, rest is important too. If you are tired, you are at risk for making unhealthy dietary choices and may make excuses not to exercise.
- Avoid crash or fad diets. They promote yo-yo dieting. Most are not healthy and are hard to stick with.
- Surround yourself with people who are interested in a healthy lifestyle. If members of your family are not supportive, find people who are. Friends, support groups and online groups can be very helpful.
Most importantly, be in this for the long run. Losing weight is not just about reducing joint pain and preventing debility; it is a step towards a more fulfilling life. Losing weight is empowering, energizing, and for many people life-changing.
You can do it even if you haven’t been successful in the past. If you have many pounds to lose, concentrate on just losing five or 10. Even a small loss in weight offers health benefits.
Once you reach that goal, you will be able to set a new goal. You didn’t reach the weight that you are overnight, so be willing to commit to your health from this day forward. You are worth it!